Muslim for a Month

I teach Social Studies in the Washington D.C. metropolitan area at a very diverse high school. In an attempt to better understand a significant portion of the student population, I have undertaken the idea to become "Muslim for a Month"; hence the title for this blog.

Name:
Location: Fairfax County, VA, United States

Monday, September 18, 2006

I teach Social Studies in the Washington D.C. metropolitan area at a very diverse high school. In an attempt to better understand a significant portion of the student population, I have undertaken the idea to become "Muslim for a Month" (the month of Ramadan to be exact); hence the title for this blog.

I cannot really say how this idea first came to me, but as soon as it popped into my head I could not shake it loose until I acted upon it. I spent much of that first evening pondering how best to go about my personal social and spiritual experiment without offending anyone, or seeming to trivialize an entire faith and culture. In this vein, I queried numerous people about this notion before deciding to give it a go. I spoke with a close friend, then several teachers at my school who are Muslim women to get their take on the subject, spoke with students in our Muslim Student Association to gauge their reaction, and then to our Principal. All I have gotten is positive feedback. At the suggestion of one of my fellow teachers who converted to Islam as an adult, I am chronicling my experiences during this upcoming month of Ramadan through this blog.

I intend to follow all the tenets of Islam as I proceed through this coming month. Come Saturday, I will don a scarf to cover my head and neck, begin my prayers, fasting, and other lifestyle changes that accompany my commitment.

Luckily, I have a student in one of my classes who is president of the Muslim Student Association (MSA); she has kindly offered to be my guide during this time. She has promised to get two scarves (of different styles) for me, as well as teach me how to properly wear them. Additionally, other students who are members of the MSA have stopped by my classroom to drop off literature that instructs me on how prayers are to be said, and that have given me additional insight into the beliefs that are at the heart of the Muslim faith.

Like any new adventure, I sometimes worry that I may have bitten off more than I can reasonably chew – no pun intended, but my biggest concern is the fasting. I am a snacker, and the prospect of not eating from sun up to sun down is daunting. But I am so excited about this experience upon which I am about to embark that I usually end up thinking that I cannot wait for my 31 days to begin.

I have so much to learn about the world’s fastest growing and second largest religion, and I only hope that I can do it justice during the next month. I know that this experience will forever change my view of the world, and make me a better teacher and person for it.